You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uploading from external HD

If I upoad to iCloud from an iPhoto library on an external HD will these photos then automatically download to the iPhoto library on my iMac?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.0

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 8:54 AM

9 replies

Feb 20, 2022 11:48 AM in response to jo.b

You do mean Photos library on the EHD, right?

If so then you would have to designate the library on the EHD as the System Photos Library and enable iCloud Library. It will then upload all of the photo to the iCloud Library and download all of the photos in the iCloud Library to the EHD Library.

Once done set the library on the iMac to the System Photos Library and enable iCloud Library. The iCloud Library and that library will then sync so they are the same.

HOWEVER, if you just want to get the photos into your iMac library, you're running Monterey and both libraries are V7 you can import the EHD library into your iMac library.

If you're on another system and Photos version you cana use the paid version of PowerPhotos to merge the EHD library into your iMac Library.

Feb 20, 2022 12:05 PM in response to Old Toad

I’m afraid I am not au fait with the language to be sure I know what you are saying sorry. I have older photos in an iPhoto “clone” on an EHD ( worked that one out at least!). I use Flickr as storage fir all photos too as belt and braces. They’ve put their annual fee up greatly so what I wanted was to use iCloud to store them but not clog up the Mac which is why I was worried about iCloud & iMac syncing.

Uploading from external HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.