You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook 2009- Operating System Deleted & Won't reinstall

Heya-

I deleted the operating system on my Macbook (2009- maybe 2010)

I was tryna reset it (As it hadn't been used since 2015 & I was quite young when I used to use it so- Who knows what kinda virues would still be on there)

Anyways-

I deleted the system. I do have the recovery utility thingy however-

Internet recovery does not work. Despite various types of attempts (Changing date through terminal & stuff like that)

I can access a very early version of safari through the apple support button but other than that.

No clue what to do.

Notes:

• I'd very much prefer a solution that doesn't involve another Mac- I don't really have another one I can use. My primary device is an iPad Pro- Other than that- If I truly need to- I use a Windows device.

I'd very much like to get the MacBook working again-

Thank you.

MacBook

Posted on Feb 13, 2022 10:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 10:02 AM

The 2009 -10 MacBook came with Leopard, maybe Snow Leopard. If you erase the full hard drive and no longer have a recovery partition. Then you need the install disk that came with your computer to install an operating system. To then get downloads of later operating systems. You would need to be upgraded to at lest Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Internet recovery will not work. It would have to me a 2010 MacBook with at least maverick . Depending on what MacBook you have you can only upgrade to El capitan or High Sierra. Creating a bootable flash drive usb installer( let say El Capitan ) might work. I'm not sure. Someone else can answer that. Here is the link for that.How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support If you no longer have the recovery volume, these are your options. To check boot with the option key down.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 14, 2022 10:02 AM in response to Fddegrdhevyd

The 2009 -10 MacBook came with Leopard, maybe Snow Leopard. If you erase the full hard drive and no longer have a recovery partition. Then you need the install disk that came with your computer to install an operating system. To then get downloads of later operating systems. You would need to be upgraded to at lest Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Internet recovery will not work. It would have to me a 2010 MacBook with at least maverick . Depending on what MacBook you have you can only upgrade to El capitan or High Sierra. Creating a bootable flash drive usb installer( let say El Capitan ) might work. I'm not sure. Someone else can answer that. Here is the link for that.How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support If you no longer have the recovery volume, these are your options. To check boot with the option key down.

MacBook 2009- Operating System Deleted & Won't reinstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.