You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

entering 1/32 notes

I am trying to use the score editor to enter a 1/32 note in Garageband, but the program (even though I select a 1/32 note in the score editor) will enter only a 1/16th note. What am I doing wrong? Is there some preference that I must adjust to enter 1/32 notes?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 11:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 12:34 PM

OK, I think I solved my own problem. For the benefit of anyone who might encounter a similar problem. On the right side of the screen just above the score there is a box with a pull down selection menu labelled "Grid". Before I had the selection in that box set at a 1/16th note. I have changed it to a 1/32 note and now find that the score will accept note values as short as a 1/32nd note. Problem solved.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 14, 2022 12:34 PM in response to Lakewatch

OK, I think I solved my own problem. For the benefit of anyone who might encounter a similar problem. On the right side of the screen just above the score there is a box with a pull down selection menu labelled "Grid". Before I had the selection in that box set at a 1/16th note. I have changed it to a 1/32 note and now find that the score will accept note values as short as a 1/32nd note. Problem solved.

Feb 11, 2022 1:24 PM in response to Lakewatch

So, I have tried to follow the instructions in the help page that you referred me to, but it doesn't seem to work. I have attached the notes from the score which I am trying to create in Garageband (from the Verdi Requiem) and what I have been able to input into Garageband using the Score editor. The first note (C natural) should be 15/32 and the second note (A flat) should be 1/32 so that the G natural falls right on the downbeat of the third beat. Instead Garageband gives me the first note with a note value of 7/16 and the next note as a 1/16th note. You get to the G on the downbeat of the third beat, but the meter is off. I can't seem to make the first note 1/32 longer and the second note 1/32 shorter. Can anyone help?

Feb 10, 2022 12:31 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Thanks for your prompt reply. Please see attached picture of the left-hand region of the score editor. I don't know if "quantization is turned on", but I have tried to select 1/64 note as the time quantatize and increased the velocity to as much as 100. Still, when I select a 1/32 note as the note value, it enters a 1/16th note--same was when a 1/16th note is selected as the note value. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

entering 1/32 notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.