You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD Elements compatible?

WD 1TB Elements SE - Portable SSD, USB 3.0 ( WDBAYN0010BBK-WESN) plug into and work on iMac M1.

If not, does anyone have suggestions for a drive that will?

Thanks very much.

Jack

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 8:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 9:44 AM

One thing I have learned a long time ago, long after the money is spent you don't recall how much you paid for the product, what you remember is how satisfied you are with the product.

Personally I do not like WD products as I find the build quality inferior and they tend to have a shorter life span, therefore they end up costing more due to replacement costs.

If you cannot afford the Macsales.com product now, please save up a little longer.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 31, 2022 9:44 AM in response to jackdharma

One thing I have learned a long time ago, long after the money is spent you don't recall how much you paid for the product, what you remember is how satisfied you are with the product.

Personally I do not like WD products as I find the build quality inferior and they tend to have a shorter life span, therefore they end up costing more due to replacement costs.

If you cannot afford the Macsales.com product now, please save up a little longer.

Jan 31, 2022 11:15 AM in response to jackdharma

Other SSDs I’d suggest looking at are LaCie drives, such as a LaCie Mobile SSD Secure USB-C Drive - Apple or a LaCie Rugged SSD Pro External Drive with Thunderbolt 3 - Apple.

I’ve never had any failures with LaCie. The only issue I’ve had was a faulty USB cable which developed with over with 4 years of usage. As far as OWC is concerned, it rubs me the wrong way that OWC is now shipping their drives with trial versions of junk backup, anti-virus, and cleaning software, which is certainly not needed and simply causes issues for your Mac.

Just my opinion.

Jack

WD Elements compatible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.