You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD compatible with Macbook 2008

Hello,

I have a 2008 Core 2 Duo Penryn MacBook. I want to upgrade the hard drive to an SSD. Does anyone know if this SSD is compatible with it?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6JQS8C

Thanks!

Posted on Jan 17, 2022 6:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 8:32 PM

Maybe. This Kingston SSD uses a SATA III controller. While SATA III controllers are supposed to be backwards compatible with the SATA II controller in your 2008 laptop, this is not always the case since some SSD controllers are not able to properly negotiate the SATA Link speed.

Personally for a 2008 laptop I would use the OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD which has been made and tested with the older Macs. OWC is a company mainly focused on providing products that are compatible with Macs. Personally I'm not a fan of these OWC SSDs, but I would use them for a 2008 computer to ensure compatibility.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc

I'm not saying the Kingston SSD or any other third party SSD won't work. I'm just saying you are more likely to have compatibility issues with some third party SSDs on a computer this old since the computer uses a SATA II controller. Before I would buy it, I personally would want to know someone who has used that SSD on that same model laptop to ensure it works properly over a period of months.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 20, 2022 8:32 PM in response to holdencheese

Maybe. This Kingston SSD uses a SATA III controller. While SATA III controllers are supposed to be backwards compatible with the SATA II controller in your 2008 laptop, this is not always the case since some SSD controllers are not able to properly negotiate the SATA Link speed.

Personally for a 2008 laptop I would use the OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD which has been made and tested with the older Macs. OWC is a company mainly focused on providing products that are compatible with Macs. Personally I'm not a fan of these OWC SSDs, but I would use them for a 2008 computer to ensure compatibility.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc

I'm not saying the Kingston SSD or any other third party SSD won't work. I'm just saying you are more likely to have compatibility issues with some third party SSDs on a computer this old since the computer uses a SATA II controller. Before I would buy it, I personally would want to know someone who has used that SSD on that same model laptop to ensure it works properly over a period of months.

SSD compatible with Macbook 2008

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.