You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain Not Saving Strong Passwords Generated by Safari

DUPLICATE of previous post by jimtoscas, which was a DUPLICATE of a previous post by "GentlemanSongster" (We as well as hundred of other all have the same problem and it remains UNRESOLVED)

When I go to a website that I've used before, sometimes I have trouble with the password, which I normally assume is stored in iCloud Keychain. But I get the error message: "Wrong UserName or Password." So I click on "Forgot Password" to correct the issue, and ultimately I'm given the choice of selecting a new PW, or using a "Strong Password," created by Safari. I choose "Strong Password," and I think the website then accepts the new password. BUT, the new password ISN'T stored throughout the Keychain, in the Cloud, nor in my other devices, nor even in the Keychain on the current machine. I do NOT get a "Would you like to save this password in the Keychain" query, so if I just continue from there, the new "Strong" password is registered only by the website, and not known to me or my computer or iPhone.

TO BE COMPLETELY CLEAR: Safari IS offering to autofill a strong password for us on a website. We CHOOSE to use the strong PW & it is now in use by the website; however, the keychain STILL HAS AN OLD PW SAVED.

This is happening to me specifically with Google right now. I changed the password because of a security alert, when I open it on my Apple Mail app it opens the browser for me to enter my PW, but it tells me that it isn't correct, so I say "forgot password" go through all of googles hoops to change my password upon which Safari suggests I use a Strong PW generated by the computer (of which I cannot see). I select that & all is well, go back to my email client & it still needs to be changed, so it opens the browser asks for the new PW, I select the account from the keychain and it autofills with the same PW that I just tried to change it from 5 minutes ago.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 8:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 7:31 PM

I do believe I have part of the puzzle – in the case of not saving the website nor password for a new login account – when I reset the password with a newly suggested strong password (which Safari "says" it saved) and then tried to login again without luck, I immediately went into Safari Passwords and searched for the website – and there was my password, BUT there was no USERNAME! After editing and adding the correct username, the Login and Password is now saved.

I can only assume that if there is no user name saved, then the whole thing falls apart and Safari will not save it permanently. I had read this somewhere else (https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/346319/safari-created-a-strong-password-but-did-not-remember-it) and it successfully worked for me on this occasion. Huge pain in the tukus though.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 27, 2022 7:31 PM in response to dustinlsorrell

I do believe I have part of the puzzle – in the case of not saving the website nor password for a new login account – when I reset the password with a newly suggested strong password (which Safari "says" it saved) and then tried to login again without luck, I immediately went into Safari Passwords and searched for the website – and there was my password, BUT there was no USERNAME! After editing and adding the correct username, the Login and Password is now saved.

I can only assume that if there is no user name saved, then the whole thing falls apart and Safari will not save it permanently. I had read this somewhere else (https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/346319/safari-created-a-strong-password-but-did-not-remember-it) and it successfully worked for me on this occasion. Huge pain in the tukus though.

Jan 27, 2022 7:00 PM in response to dustinlsorrell

I will add that it isn't only when updating OLD passwords, I have this issue when signing up for NEW accounts on a website. I choose to accept the strong password that Safari suggests, the site sends an email verification that I open and click on, and am then logged in to the site. The next day or so, I go back to the website login and there is no autofill. Not only that, there is no reference to the website NOR the password in Keychain. NEITHER the password NOR the website address was saved. Super frustrating as I then have to reset the password, keep my fingers crossed that it will save this time as I am not alway able to copy and paste the new suggested strong password. This is happening more and more. I can't say I enjoy being gaslit by my own computer.

Granted I am still running Catalina 10.15.7 (19H1519) on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) with Safari Version 15.1 (15612.2.9.1.30, 15612)

Jan 24, 2022 10:16 AM in response to BDAqua

yes...that's where the process begins. Did you have some sort of suggestion about how to fix it from there or just giving away unnecessary advice?

as I said before, that password that is save is not what it was changed to any of the previous 5 times that I've changed it, but I don't know what those passwords are because they were strong passwords generated by safari.

Keychain Not Saving Strong Passwords Generated by Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.