You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can’t I delete items from Passwords (Keychain)?

I have 2 Google accounts, 1 private and one for business. A while ago I changed the passwords to more secure ones. They both work.

However, in my keychain I see 5 combos e-Mail/Password (+15). Trying to delete the old ones does not lead to anything, they cannot be deleted. I also already deleted Google-cookies in Safari preferences, to no avail.

Furthermore I have another 15 entries for google with endless chains of characters in both username and password. Cannot delete these either.

Please help, because every time I log in to Google (with correct password) I get a security alert from Google. Very annoying 😏

iPad Pro (6th generation)

Posted on May 22, 2023 2:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 23, 2023 4:52 PM

A few years ago there was bug in the iOS/iPadOS Keychain that would allow creation of undeletable Passwords; worse, attempts to delete one of these entries created an additional undeletable entry. Your description has some similarities.

At the time, the workaround was to remove the erroneous entires using a Mac computer that was signed-in to your AppleID. Once removed, the bad entries wouldn’t return unless the bug was re-triggered.

Otherwise, it may be worthwhile to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 23, 2023 4:52 PM in response to Gulliver

A few years ago there was bug in the iOS/iPadOS Keychain that would allow creation of undeletable Passwords; worse, attempts to delete one of these entries created an additional undeletable entry. Your description has some similarities.

At the time, the workaround was to remove the erroneous entires using a Mac computer that was signed-in to your AppleID. Once removed, the bad entries wouldn’t return unless the bug was re-triggered.

Otherwise, it may be worthwhile to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

Why can’t I delete items from Passwords (Keychain)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.