You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Pro Macbook Pro Magsafe reliability issue (not the one everyone is talking about)

My new M1 Pro Macbook Pro (16") has this weird issue where when connecting the magsafe-charger, it's as though it's not connected to power – meaning neither the orange or the green light, and no charging-icon in the menu bar.

This does not happen every time, maybe 1 out of 3 times I connect it to power. In case where it does this, I have to unplug and reconnect the magsafe to the computer a couple times, wiggle it a little, or rotate it 180 degrees, and suddenly it works.

Both the computer and the charger are all new, and both sides of the charger-port are perfectly clean and free of dust or other obstructions.

Is this a common issue? All my searches gave me lots of 'not charging while orange' issue, but nothing like this. Although it may be related?

Any tips or solutions? This is a pretty expensive computer, and this seems like a weird bug.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 12:27 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 14, 2022 6:39 PM in response to hansler

Hello hansler,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand that at times, you're unable to charge your new MacBook Pro. We can help point you in the right direction.

There are additional steps that may help. Our recommendation is to ensure we follow the steps outlined in this helpful article: If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac notebook Within that article is important to note that having the latest update of macOS Monterey 12.1 may help. It's the latest update available for your Mac, as it helps provide software improvements.

Please keep us posted with the results.

Kind regards.

M1 Pro Macbook Pro Magsafe reliability issue (not the one everyone is talking about)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.