You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 14” 2021

I have a new MacBook Pro 14” with the M1 max chip. All of a sudden it stopped charging with the MagSafe charger.

Whenever I connect it, it flashes orange and it’s not charging.

Anyone had the same issue? Any fixes?

thanks

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 12:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 1:01 PM

See the information in Charge your 14-inch or 16-inch MacBook Pro - Apple Support including the following:

If the indicator light flashes

If the indicator light on the MagSafe 3 connector flashes amber repeatedly, try these steps:

1. Disconnect the USB-C to MagSafe 3 Cable from your Mac and from the power adapter.
  2. Disconnect the USB-C power adapter from the wall outlet.
  3. Use a dry cloth to wipe the MagSafe 3 port and MagSafe 3 connector. Make sure both the port and connector are dry and clear of any debris. 
  4. Make sure the USB-C port on the power adapter and the USB-C connector are clear of any debris.
  5. Restart your Mac.
  6. Connect the USB-C power adapter to the wall outlet, connect the USB-C to MagSafe 3 Cable to the adapter and to your Mac, then try charging again.

If the indicator light continues to flash repeatedly, contact Apple.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 20, 2022 1:01 PM in response to sotiris194

See the information in Charge your 14-inch or 16-inch MacBook Pro - Apple Support including the following:

If the indicator light flashes

If the indicator light on the MagSafe 3 connector flashes amber repeatedly, try these steps:

1. Disconnect the USB-C to MagSafe 3 Cable from your Mac and from the power adapter.
  2. Disconnect the USB-C power adapter from the wall outlet.
  3. Use a dry cloth to wipe the MagSafe 3 port and MagSafe 3 connector. Make sure both the port and connector are dry and clear of any debris. 
  4. Make sure the USB-C port on the power adapter and the USB-C connector are clear of any debris.
  5. Restart your Mac.
  6. Connect the USB-C power adapter to the wall outlet, connect the USB-C to MagSafe 3 Cable to the adapter and to your Mac, then try charging again.

If the indicator light continues to flash repeatedly, contact Apple.

Mar 21, 2022 7:52 AM in response to sotiris194

Maybe a similar situation and may now be resolved:

2021 MacBook Pro 14" with default power adapter

Battery is showing only 1% and the battery icon is an AC plug instead of a lightning bolt that normally means charging.

Battery otherwise looks great in System Information.

When power adapter connected (MagSafe) shows orange, blinks once, charging "chime" is heard, then blinks off, then goes back to steady orange. Meaning: plugged in but not charging.

Connected power adapter with USB-C cable instead. No improvement. No charging.

Tried restarting the computer and tried in rescue mode also. No charging.

Resetting the SMC not really applicable because it is an M1 Mac. But tried the procedure for Intel Macs anyway. No charging.

Tried leaving the power adapter connected with screen open or closed. No charging.

Updated operating system and tried changing battery "optimized" charging setting in System Preferences. No charging.

Went to Apple Store for an official service appointment. They could not get it working. They tried a different power adapter, cables and other things. Computer would operate on AC power but not on battery and would not charge battery.

Computer has never left a desk since it was new. Could not think off anything that could have caused this. Apple said they need to service the computer and there is something wrong with the battery possibly. Apple sent me a box to ship my computer for service.

Before receiving the box, the computer was sitting unplugged and off for 2 days. I plugged in the computer to make sure I did not need to back up anything further before shipping the computer.

BUT NOW, the battery is charging. Icon shows a lightning bolt. Battery % is increasing,. Says 2+ hours until fully charged. I will wait until later and see if this is back working again and if charging is reliable.

If this is now fixed, I have some possible explanations. The 1% charge needed to get to 0% which could take a couple days with the computer sitting unplugged, which allowed the power management software/firmware to work as intended again. Perhaps a small bug in the power management system that can be fixed by an operating system update in the future.

In my case, the computer had hardly been used on battery at all. It was used with an external monitor and keyboard. When not in use, I usually had disconnected the MagSafe adapter. Perhaps the "optimized" battery setting in System Preferences started to avoid charging the battery and it ended up becoming a problem somehow that the system would not recover from unless the battery got below 1% by sitting for a couple days?

Hopefully this is fixed. Should know in a day or so if battery charging seems normal. Hope this helps someone.

MacBook Pro 14” 2021

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.