You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 1st Gen will not boot

Took my iPad 1st Gen out of storage for the first time in years, i try to boot it up, on the 12 watt charging brick, it shows the apple logo, then shuts off, then shows the apple logo again, and repeat. I can get it into recovery mode where it shows the iTunes logo on the screen, but the second I pull the plug to plug it into my computer, it dies. Plugging into the computer, the screen tries to turn on, but immediately shuts off. So far I've managed to get it into DFU mode once, and the restore errored out. (1603) Haven't gotten it to go into DFU mode since. pls help

iPad 3G

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 7:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 7:02 AM

As described, your iPad battery has failed - and will not accept charge. Li-ion batteries must be kept with some level of charge - as deep discharge will cause unrecoverable damage to the battery. iPads (and other devices with rechargeable batteries) must be periodically charged whilst being stored for extended periods.

These support pages may help with troubleshooting charging issues:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item - however, a failed battery can only be addressed by replacement.

If you continue to experience difficulties, you might be best advised to first seek assistance directly from from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

A better option would be to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

If battery service is required, you’ll be in the best place to explore your available options.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 20, 2021 7:02 AM in response to butterh2

As described, your iPad battery has failed - and will not accept charge. Li-ion batteries must be kept with some level of charge - as deep discharge will cause unrecoverable damage to the battery. iPads (and other devices with rechargeable batteries) must be periodically charged whilst being stored for extended periods.

These support pages may help with troubleshooting charging issues:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item - however, a failed battery can only be addressed by replacement.

If you continue to experience difficulties, you might be best advised to first seek assistance directly from from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

A better option would be to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

If battery service is required, you’ll be in the best place to explore your available options.

iPad 1st Gen will not boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.