You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Word 2016 crashes after Catalina 10.15.7 security update #7

I am getting sporadic crashes of Word 2016 when opening some of my files and not others. This just started happening after the latest security update #7, which also included an update to Safari. It is a strange crash, some files open, others quit unexpectedly with the attached crash report. I opened the same file from the desktop and didn't get a crash as I get from the folder where the files are located. Perhaps it is something easy to fix? Microsoft won't help me, they told me to contact Apple. I don't want to reinstall the system if I don't have to (but I will if I need to and not install the latest security update);I only back up my files not the system so I can't time machine back to the previous load without the update, where I experienced no crashes. Thanks in advance.

MacBook

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 5:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 5:37 PM

Update: After renaming the file folder all of my Word files open with no crashes. Not sure why such a strange bug would occur after a Mac security update. If this helps others, great. Never had it happen before, have used Macs for years!

1 reply

Word 2016 crashes after Catalina 10.15.7 security update #7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.