You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to connect my 2020 iMac to my stereo receiver?

How do I connect my 2020 iMac to my stereo receiver to maximize audio quality? I mainly stream apple music, but play WAV and FLAC audio files as well.

The receiver has Optical In and RCA options (link to manual below). I am assuming the Optical connection would be ideal for quality purposes, but I believe this would require a DAC - correct?

If so, what kind of DAC is ideal? what's highest quality connection: lightening to optical? USB-A to optical? USB-A to RCA?

Ideally, the 3.5 mm audio jack of the iMac would support mini Toslink for for the digital in, but I understand newer iMacs no longer support this capability. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see this on the spec sheet.

I purchased a used Onkyo XT 8410 network stereo receiver, 12" Klipsch sub and Q Acoustic 3010 speakers yesterday. My first venture into hi-fi audio. The receiver has Wifi and Bluetooth capability, but I struggled connecting it through Wifi. The manual only discusses how to set up to windows programs, so not sure if it supports connectivity to apple devices (oops). Bluetooth sounded pretty good, but I know the quality is compromised by connecting this way.

Thanks in advance!

receiver manual: https://www.onkyousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/TX-8140_En_A_web-2.pdf

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 11:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 11:17 AM

Just some friendly advice from someone who was involved in high end audio for 20+ years. Try to avoid concentrating on the technology and concentrate your efforts into acquiring music you enjoy. Otherwise, you will spend more time listening to the hardware and fretting over if it sounds as it should than the music itself.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 1, 2021 11:17 AM in response to jdiz86

Just some friendly advice from someone who was involved in high end audio for 20+ years. Try to avoid concentrating on the technology and concentrate your efforts into acquiring music you enjoy. Otherwise, you will spend more time listening to the hardware and fretting over if it sounds as it should than the music itself.

Dec 1, 2021 10:05 AM in response to jdiz86

I actually ended up contacting apple support to confirm the best way to stream and maintain lossless audio by connecting my iMac to my receiver. It appears that apple has their own codec for lossless audio, so any external DAC would not support it and quality would be lost in transmitting the signal from the computer to the receiver. The only way to maintain lossless audio from the iMac is by connecting to the lightning with an adapter for your apple headphones (wired).

I will need to work with a third party to download or stream (Tidal?) files, connect to a DAC, and then connect to my stereo for true hi fi sound. That or choose a different source. Maybe get into vinyl or buy a hi fi streaming device.

Nov 29, 2021 12:48 PM in response to jdiz86

That is correct, new Mac’s no longer support optical digital output from the headphone jack

Your options include analog from the headphone jack using a 3.5mm to RCA cable, using Bluetooth or using a USB DAC with optical digital output.

Personally I would test analog using a 3.5mm to RCA cable and then Bluetooth. Then if your not happy with either of those, go with the USB DAC with optical digital.

Best way to connect my 2020 iMac to my stereo receiver?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.