You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I play music through an AV stereo system from an iMac

I want to play music downloaded from apple music into my iMac through a receiver on my traditional stereo system. I would like to know if an adapter with a 3.5mm end and RCA connectors on the other end will do it? I am assuming I connect the 3.5mm end into the line out on my iMac and the RCA terminals into the auxiliary on my receiver. I would also like to know if there are any specs necessary to make it work? I mean the wattage of the receiver or output on the computer, for example? I hope it is as easy as buying simple adapter and plugging it in..

I'd welcome any response......thanks!

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 6:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 7:10 PM

A 3.5 mm to 2 RCA males cable would work. Depending on your budget you could also consider one of the Audio Quest DACs, There's nothing special required as far as the receivers wattage.

Similar questions

3 replies

Can I play music through an AV stereo system from an iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.