You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook air doesn't allow me to update because it needs an OS X 10.11

I am trying to unlock an iphone 7 using itunes on my laptop. When i connect it to my itunes, it requires it to be updated, but in order to update itunes i need to update my OS. Now when i try to update from Yosemite to Captian it says i need OS X 10.11 or greater. What should I do? Thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 4:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 5:10 PM

Where you get the update from? Sounds like you got a mid version update which requires the main version already be installed.

Try the link from here: link-> How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

7 replies

Nov 28, 2021 5:16 PM in response to amherrer

You have a MacBook Air (Let us know which year model) that has OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). You are attempting to update it to El Capitan which is OS X 10.11. You have seen a notification that you need OS X 10.11 or greater to update. This means that your MacBook Air is attempting to update to a OS version greater than OS X 10.11. You will need to manually update your MacBook Air to OS X 10.11 (El Capitan). Below is how to do that:

The following steps are for upgrading to Mac OS X 10.11 Capitan:

• Visit the Mac App Store.
  • Locate the OS X El Capitan Page.
  • Click the Download button.
  • Follow the simple instructions to complete the upgrade.

Axel F.

My macbook air doesn't allow me to update because it needs an OS X 10.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.