You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change keyboard shortcuts in Monterey?

Hi there,

Since upgrading to my 14" MBP I can't use my keyboard shortcut anymore. Whenever I set up a new apple computer I create a shortcut for "Empty Trash" which is CMD=.

Unfortunately this gets overwritten by Finder's enlarge thumbnail feature. Any idea how to change the default shortcuts so that I can keep my preferred ones?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 5:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 8:04 AM

If the shortcut is in System Preferences somewhere, you may be able to change that one, freeing up cmd-=.

Or, if you can figure out the text for the command, you might be able to set a custom shortcut for it, again allowing you to re-assign it. But, I'm not sure on either.

If the shortcut is not tied to a command in the menus (including contextual menus), then there would be no way to change it.

Is cmd-shift-delete that difficult? I usually hit both in sequence. It may take more effort to change it than to just use the built-in shortcut.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 14, 2021 8:04 AM in response to Transforman

If the shortcut is in System Preferences somewhere, you may be able to change that one, freeing up cmd-=.

Or, if you can figure out the text for the command, you might be able to set a custom shortcut for it, again allowing you to re-assign it. But, I'm not sure on either.

If the shortcut is not tied to a command in the menus (including contextual menus), then there would be no way to change it.

Is cmd-shift-delete that difficult? I usually hit both in sequence. It may take more effort to change it than to just use the built-in shortcut.

Nov 16, 2021 7:47 AM in response to Transforman

You can have a look at the menus; the assigned keyboard shortcuts are displayed next to each menu. For example, you may see that Command-comma opens the Preferences window. This one is transversal to just about all applications.

When choosing a keyboard shortcut it is a good idea to check if it already used for something else.

I believe that the situation with Command-= is similar. It the default zoom in shortcut.

In the Finder, as far as I can tell, this only has any effect in Icon View.

Curiously, when pressed, the View menu highlights, and the icons are enlarged, but the actual command and shortcut are nowhere to be found in the menu itself. We have to click View->Show View Options and we can see that the size in there changes:

I can't see a way to change this one. Seriously, I don't think you should, even if you can.

Nov 16, 2021 11:57 AM in response to Transforman

If you use a lot of keyboard shortcuts you might want to look at a macro app like Keyboard Maestro . With it you can remap keys and key combinations to do about anything you'd do with multiple clicks and drags. I use it to change the font size and disable a CSS file for Safari and them redo it again:

I have over 100 macros that I use. Keyboard Maestro has a demo version you can try.

How to change keyboard shortcuts in Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.