You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility on Monterey generates error when creating a disk image

The error message below appears when I attempted to create a disk image of a folder stored on an external disk. The exact same command worked when the folder was moved to an internal drive.

- Pie Lover

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 6:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 4:52 AM

Thanks for confirming your experience. As a workaround, try copying the external folder to an internal volume (I used the system volume) and then run the Disk Utility on the copy. The Disk Utility will create a disk image that should be identical to the one created using the utility in Big Sur (or earlier versions of macOS) using the folder on the external volume.

- Pie Lover

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 29, 2021 4:52 AM in response to dialabrain

Thanks for confirming your experience. As a workaround, try copying the external folder to an internal volume (I used the system volume) and then run the Disk Utility on the copy. The Disk Utility will create a disk image that should be identical to the one created using the utility in Big Sur (or earlier versions of macOS) using the folder on the external volume.

- Pie Lover

Disk Utility on Monterey generates error when creating a disk image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.