You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

standard definition

How do I buy a standard definition movie from Apple TV on my MacBook Air?

I can only see HD version and I can not see how to change it?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 4:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 1:27 AM

You can shop for SD in the iTunes Store app on iPhone and iPad, or on computers with the iTunes application.

I don’t think that selector is available in the Apple TV app. You can set the quality to stream it or download it in the app’s Preferences, though.

There used to be a slight price difference between SD vs. HD/4K, but more and more titles do not have that differentiation anymore.

Buy movies and TV shows from the Apple TV app - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 20, 2021 1:27 AM in response to Sambel72

You can shop for SD in the iTunes Store app on iPhone and iPad, or on computers with the iTunes application.

I don’t think that selector is available in the Apple TV app. You can set the quality to stream it or download it in the app’s Preferences, though.

There used to be a slight price difference between SD vs. HD/4K, but more and more titles do not have that differentiation anymore.

Buy movies and TV shows from the Apple TV app - Apple Support

Oct 20, 2021 11:14 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks. I did exactly that. Made the purchase on my phone through the ITunes Store App before then downloading on Mac Air. Bloody pain in the A! . There was a $7 dollar difference between SD & HD but price is not my main concern - it’s file size. HD size files just gobble up too much storage & just not required if watching on a small screen. (I can’t stream them cause off grid out of coverage range)

standard definition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.