You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV or NVIDIA Shield TV Pro ?

I am currently considering upgrading to Apple TV 4K OR change to using NVIDIA Shield TV Pro.

My greatest concern is about playing MKV file. Currently I have to convert all my MKV files using Handbrake before playing on my Apple TV 2 (about 10 years old).

I believe that the latest Apple TV 4K are able to play MKV files without conversion. My question is

(1) do I need to download/install any app to watch MKV video?

(2) can Apple TV play those MKV video with subtitle (*.srt) support?

Kindly advise.

Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 11:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 11:58 AM

You piqued my curiosity on this so I googled it. Apparently there's a VLC media player build for Apple TV that'll do it. This article from last Sept covers your options pretty well: https://echoshare.co/apple-tv-mkv/.

I've used MKV and Handbrake to RIP my DVDs & BluRays to .m4v files, which I added to my Mac's media Library with Home Sharing turned on. From there, playing them on the ATV4K using the poorly-named "Computers" app works very well.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 23, 2023 11:58 AM in response to mingtze

You piqued my curiosity on this so I googled it. Apparently there's a VLC media player build for Apple TV that'll do it. This article from last Sept covers your options pretty well: https://echoshare.co/apple-tv-mkv/.

I've used MKV and Handbrake to RIP my DVDs & BluRays to .m4v files, which I added to my Mac's media Library with Home Sharing turned on. From there, playing them on the ATV4K using the poorly-named "Computers" app works very well.

Apr 24, 2023 6:59 AM in response to mingtze

VLC, or a range of other third party network video player apps (Plex, Infuse, MrMC, or others in the App Store) will give you MKV playback. Each with their strengths and weaknesses. VLC is easy and versatile, but not the most polished for GUI looks.

Apple’s own apps do not play MKV. For use with Apple’s apps, you will have to convert or re-wrap in a different container (.mp4), and subtitles will have to be embedded (inside the .mp4).

Apr 24, 2023 8:25 AM in response to bgmeek

Yes, this is exactly what I have been doing ie. converting a downloaded MKV file + subtitle (srt) to a m4v/mp4 format using Handbrake… before playing on my ancient Apple TV 2.

So in order to save time to convert file, now I just watch movie on my Macbook instead of Apple TV. Simply place MKV file + srt subtitle file in the same folder and open with VLC.

But since now I have intention to get a new media player, I am thinking of going for Nvidia Shield TV to save the trouble of ever converting video again.

It would be great if the latest Apple TV (with VLC app) would be able to play mkv + srt without any conversion. Do they work like that?  

Apple TV or NVIDIA Shield TV Pro ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.