You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting 2021 MBP to 2011 MBA via Target Mode - can this be done?

So I did a silly thing and let my 2011 MacBook Air (OS Lion get too full.) Now, when I try to start it it won't boot and I just get the flashing folder. I can restore to system utilities online, but can't get further as the box where startup disc should be is blank.

I have a new 2021 MacBook Pro and so want to access the MBA via Target disk mode. 2011 MBA has USB ports plus thunderbolt 2 port.

I have a cable which is usb-c (shaped) to usb, and when I try to use it I get the USB target logo on the MBA screen, but the MBA doe not appear on the MBP screen.

So, can these two machines be connected via target mode? And if so am I right that I need a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 dongle to do it?

Many thanks for any advice!

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 7:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 8:40 AM

A 2011 Mac does not support using USB in Target Disk Mode. You can use the Thunderbolt port though so you will need to use a USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter along with an older style Thunderbolt Cable which uses the miniDisplay Port like connectors.

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m) - White - Apple

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 12, 2021 8:40 AM in response to Simon Stephenson

A 2011 Mac does not support using USB in Target Disk Mode. You can use the Thunderbolt port though so you will need to use a USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter along with an older style Thunderbolt Cable which uses the miniDisplay Port like connectors.

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m) - White - Apple

Connecting 2021 MBP to 2011 MBA via Target Mode - can this be done?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.