You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What type of cable do I need to connect a macbook air 2015 to new (2020/m1) macbook air in target disk mode?

I have a 2015 macbook air that is stuck in the reboot (out of space) loop while trying to upgrade to Big Sur. I would like to boot it in target disk mode so I can access it from a new M1 Macbook Air. I have been unable to find out what type of cable I need to do this (assuming it is even possible to mount the High Sierra disk from Big Sur). Can I do it with an adapter on the m1 MBA and a USB-A to USB-A cable? If not, what would I need to connect to the thunderbolt port on the 2015 MBA?

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 5:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 6:27 AM

Hi,

You need to get USB-C to Thunderbolt2 adapter.

Transfer files between a Mac with Apple silicon and another Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply

What type of cable do I need to connect a macbook air 2015 to new (2020/m1) macbook air in target disk mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.