You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore Mac Mail messages lost when changing webhost

I didn't realize changing webhosts meant I'd lose all the messages from my Sent folder, or I would have tried to make some kind of backup/archive. I guess I'd thought Mail (12.4) itself kept these messages in some kind of .mbox file on my harddrive?

I switched webhosts back in May and I'm only just now realizing some Sent emails I desperately need are now gone. I don't have Time Machine on, as theres not enough disk space, even if that would help.

I contacted my previous webhost but they're unresponsive so far.

Do I have any options at all if they respond with "sorry all gone"?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 6:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 7:36 PM

No, no other options. You need to keep backups on an external drive dedicated to backups. Email you need to keep need to be moved onto your computer outside the email client's folders and onto the backup drive.

You could ask your former hosting company/email service provider if they have an archive of your email account(s) that you could download.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 12, 2021 7:36 PM in response to onefiftymph

No, no other options. You need to keep backups on an external drive dedicated to backups. Email you need to keep need to be moved onto your computer outside the email client's folders and onto the backup drive.

You could ask your former hosting company/email service provider if they have an archive of your email account(s) that you could download.

Sep 13, 2021 1:33 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Ok thanks. Yes I stated that I asked my previous host and they've been unresponsive.

Theres a function in Mail under Accounts / Settings called "Archive mailbox" and its set for "Archive".

1) Is this not a place I could expect my Sent messages - or any/all messages - to be archived?

2) Where does this "archive" live anyway? The only Archive I found on my HD is in the Library for iChat/Messages

3) What is the "Archive mailbox" function's purpose if it does not actually archive email to keep for later?

4) Whats the best way to save the messages currently in my Sent folder?

5) If I make a new folder in the "On my Mac" panel of Mail, are all those emails actually saved on my HD somewhere? (I've never looked for them). Where are the On my Mac emails kept?

Anyone who can answer ALL these questions gets a gold star!

Sep 13, 2021 2:27 PM in response to onefiftymph

1 - if you manually archive emails than that would be a place where they could be found. But it's not automatic.

2 - Not sure but probably in the Users/Home/Library/Mail folder.

3 - It's just another mailbox, on you Mac, that you can store emails you want to keep in. However, it's not automatic unless you create a rule for specific emails to be moved there. The Archive mailbox will be at the bottom of Mail's sidebar at the bottom:

4 - create mailboxes "On My Mac" and drag the emails to them.

5 - yes, they will be saved on your Mac in the Users/Home/Library/Mail/V8 folder:

What I do I created mailboxes for specific senders and topics and create rules to move the emails that meet the requirements to the appropriate mailbox. I also created a smart mailbox with the criteria "Mail is Unread" so I can initially see all the emails no matter where they are stored. Once read they will remain in their home mailbox but not in the Smart Mailbox.

How to restore Mac Mail messages lost when changing webhost

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.