You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changed web hosts, didn't back up emails - when reconfigured Mail settings inbox went blank

I double checked with the new host if I'd lose my messages in inbox, sent, drafts etc on my Mac and they said no but as soon as I took the a/c back online the inbox was empty! Is there a way using TimeMachine (or other) to reinstate the previous emails?

The previous host has deleted everything so can't make a back up unless I pay for one month's hosting and $150 management fee :(

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 6:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 6:45 PM

If you had an IMAP account, then all emails are kept on the host's server online and only downloaded when you open the Mail app on your mac or, if you were using the host's website, then all of the contents of your account there will be deleted when you canceled the service. A time machine backup may or may not have any emails depending on when you did the backup and possibly if you were online at the time (I'm not sure about that though).

With a POP account, all emails are downloaded from the server and reside in your Mail app (or whatever you are using); however, today's default is the IMAP.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 2, 2020 6:45 PM in response to my splitty is a 1962

If you had an IMAP account, then all emails are kept on the host's server online and only downloaded when you open the Mail app on your mac or, if you were using the host's website, then all of the contents of your account there will be deleted when you canceled the service. A time machine backup may or may not have any emails depending on when you did the backup and possibly if you were online at the time (I'm not sure about that though).

With a POP account, all emails are downloaded from the server and reside in your Mail app (or whatever you are using); however, today's default is the IMAP.

Changed web hosts, didn't back up emails - when reconfigured Mail settings inbox went blank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.