You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to save emails WITH ATTACHMENTS

I need to save off a large number of emails with their attachments from the native Mail program. The emails and attachments are resident on the iMac (that is, I can open the emails and can open their attachments without being connected to the source server). I have tried multiple ways to do this but can only save the emails (in some cases) but never with attachments. I must save them OFF this computer to retire or repurpose this older iMac.

I am aware I can save the attachemnts individually, but there are a thousand or more emails so I must automate this process. I need to have the attachments with their source emails. This is an older computer and an important document preservation effort involving my late father-in-law's professional work.

iMac 21.5" Late 2013, Catalina 10.15.7 - this is up-to-date for this system. This iMac is not Big Sur eligible.

Here are all the things I have tried and the results:

Drag and Drop: When I drag an email to a folder in Finder, a tiny envelope icon appears as I drag it across Mail. When I get to the folder, the envelop turns into the normal large green plus icon. Then when I release the message on the folder, nothing happens - absolutely nothing. No email is saved with or without the attachment. No error or other message is issued. Just nothing. (I have tried this on a MacBook Pro and it works just fine.) Incidentally, if I drag and drop the attachment to Desktop or the folder, it saves the attachment correctly.

Export (or Print) as PDF: This creates a nice PDF of the email but it only contains an icon of the attachment, which cannot be opened.

File - Save As - Raw Message Source: This creates an .eml file with 0KB. When opened, the sender states No Sender and the subject line states (No Subject). There is not content whatsoever, and of course no attachment.

File - Save As - Rich Text Format - Include Attachments: This creates an .rtfd file with a small KB size. When opened, it contains the From, To, Date and Subject information as well as the content in text. But it does not contain attachments.

File - Save As - Plain Text Format - Include Attachments: This also creates an .rtfd file with a slightly smaller KB size. When opened, it contains the From, To, Date and Subject information as well as the content in text. But it does not contain attachments.

Please let me know of any suggestions on how to save off these emails with attachments. Thank you!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 9:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 9:40 AM

Drag and drop to desktop does nothing. Absolutely nothing. The green plus appears but nothing is dropped to the desktop.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I will look into those.

Similar questions

8 replies

Aug 28, 2021 9:32 AM in response to Jon_E

Drag and drop should work just fine. And, if you can drag to the desktop do that first, then move those files into a new folder.

A better alternative may be to simply export the mailbox. Mailbox > Export Mailbox

One other option is to set up mail on the old computer with the account into which you intend to move the email. Then simply drag messages from the current location into the new account in mail. The messages will upload to the new mail account. Similar to dragging a message from a gmail address directly into an iCloud email folder.

Aug 28, 2021 12:46 PM in response to ku4hx

@ku4hx Thanks for your suggesstions. I have rebooted many times and this does not help. I tried three times to get into Safe Mode by holding the Shift key while booting up, but each time it simply goes to the normal login screen and gives no indication of Safe Mode - something is wrong with this machine....! As far as files dropping offscreen, I cannot see any using the Finder looking at Desktop. Thanks for your help.

Aug 28, 2021 12:48 PM in response to muguy

@muguy I think your idea of adding another email account to the Mail app then dragging and dropping within the app is probably the right solution - thank you! Right now it's not letting me add the email account I want due to a supposed password error even though I reset it and everything is fine. I'll just wait and keep trying. I can't risk attaching my "usual" email account to this older iMac in its current state with these various errors. I will keep trying with a different one. Thanks!

Unable to save emails WITH ATTACHMENTS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.