You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot open .pdf file in an outgoing email message

I scanned a document from my printer (HP OfficeJet Pro 9018) into my iMac (OS 11.6.6) and saved it in Finder/Documents.  I can open it in that location.  When I copied it (drag and drop) from Finder/Documents into an email I was preparing, it would not open in the email location, meaning the email recipient will not be able to open it either.  Before sending the email, I tested opening it and instead of the file opening a message box opened stating:

The file “The Guard Episode #6 - 7/18.pdf” couldn’t be opened

because you don’t have permission to view it.

To view or change permissions, select the item in the Finder and

choose File > Get Info.

This is puzzling in that I have created many such files in the same way that I have attached to emails and the recipients have been able to open them.

My inquiry, therefore, is threefold. #1 Why won't this file open from the email? #2 What specific steps do I need to take make this file able to be opened by the email recipient?  #3 What specific steps do I need to take to prevent this from occurring with future scanned documents?

Richard’s iMac 27" 2020

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 9:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 9:54 AM

Opps! Missed that update. Just completed it. Will noodle around on files that I need to open and see if this took care of my issue. Many thanks!

Similar questions

4 replies

Cannot open .pdf file in an outgoing email message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.