You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my macbook pro can't read my external hard disk 5 TB which formated exfat

my mac book pro can't read my external WD hard disk 5 TB which formated exfat from my Pc

my system 11.5 macOS Big Sur

whene I mount from Tuxera it give me this error

Error while mounting disk2s1: Too many levels of remote in path

Posted on Aug 21, 2021 5:48 PM

4 replies

Sep 16, 2021 12:25 AM in response to eslamwaheeb

I've had this issue using Macbook's time machine - all of a sudden it won't mount my external drives -(I have a backup with Time Machine and I have it partitioned so part of it is time machine and the other is for drag and drop. I also have additional external drives that just copy movies and graphics - as well as larger files to take off the mac for extra space. I'm still on Catalina as I was discouraged from upgrading to Big Sur - but may do so as long as I can get my external hard drives to be recognized. They were EXFat formatted - and I don't want to reformat them as it would erase what I have on them and that was the whole point!! I'm on a MacBook pro late 2019 model. I've noticed there's a lot of issues with the Macbook pros not recognizing external hard drives and some of the hard drives are not that old. Has anyone found a solution?

Sep 16, 2021 1:23 AM in response to Rebelrona3126

I maintain data and data history (Safety Net) via Carbon Copy Cloner. I treat my TimeMachine backups as snap shots in time of the most recent installation. I have no use for history associated with TimeMachine, so reformatting a TM drive is no big deal. TM is rather limited and seems cobbled together to me, hence my solution to use CCC. And since I have all Intel Macs, I can also create (and have tested) bootable clones.

I understand not wanting to erase history; I don't want to either. To use TM to do that is just not my chosen solution so at this point I'll yield to better minds on your problem.

I understand wanting to use a free native app to backup, but sometimes you have to open your wallet to have a workable solution over the long haul. Especially if the native app has long standing issues.

my macbook pro can't read my external hard disk 5 TB which formated exfat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.