You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need Advice for Bootcamp Partition

I've been thinking about installing windows using bootcamp on my 2017 21.5 inch imac currently running on macOS Big Sur which has a 1tb SATA Disk. I still have 725 GB on it. I'm installing windows just to play valorant since its not available on mac. How much space should I give my mac os and how much should I give Windows? Thanks!

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 8:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 10:34 PM

Install Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp Assistant - Apple Support recommends 64GB as minimum required. I recommend 256GB-384GB. From the link...

• When Boot Camp Assistant asks you to set the size of the Windows partition, remember the minimum storage-space requirements in the previous section. Set a partition size that meets your needs, because you can't change its size later.

If you need to enlarge the partition later, you will need to remove and re-install Windows.

This is from a 2018 Mini.

diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     314.6 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk1         616.0 GB   disk0s2
   3:       Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP                384.2 GB   disk0s3
1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 16, 2021 10:34 PM in response to amrew13

Install Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp Assistant - Apple Support recommends 64GB as minimum required. I recommend 256GB-384GB. From the link...

• When Boot Camp Assistant asks you to set the size of the Windows partition, remember the minimum storage-space requirements in the previous section. Set a partition size that meets your needs, because you can't change its size later.

If you need to enlarge the partition later, you will need to remove and re-install Windows.

This is from a 2018 Mini.

diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     314.6 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk1         616.0 GB   disk0s2
   3:       Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP                384.2 GB   disk0s3

Need Advice for Bootcamp Partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.