You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi... My phone will not backup...

I have the default 5 GB, but only 73 MB used on the phone... Yet it tells me that there's no space on Icloud to backup. I logged in to the web page and there's no files listed on icloud... What's up? My phone keeps complaining it cannot backup and trying to get me to purchase more space.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 5:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 7:49 AM

Then it will depend on how much storage is used on your phone that will determine the size of your backup. Information that is backed up will include:

• App data
  • Apple Watch backups1
  • Device settings
  • Home screen and app organization
  • iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages2
  • Photos and videos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch2
  • Purchase history from Apple services, like your music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books3
  • Ringtones
  • Visual Voicemail password (requires the SIM card that was in use during backup)

More info here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207428

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 11, 2021 7:49 AM in response to GeoffMeissner

Then it will depend on how much storage is used on your phone that will determine the size of your backup. Information that is backed up will include:

• App data
  • Apple Watch backups1
  • Device settings
  • Home screen and app organization
  • iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages2
  • Photos and videos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch2
  • Purchase history from Apple services, like your music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books3
  • Ringtones
  • Visual Voicemail password (requires the SIM card that was in use during backup)

More info here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207428

Aug 11, 2021 6:59 AM in response to apfelkopf

Ah ok... My phone says 73.7. When I check online (web page) it says there is nothing there. I'm sorry a bit of a neophile here, but looking at my 'icloud drive' on my browser shows two folders - Downloads, and shortcuts... Both empty. I was wondering if backups from my PREVIOUS phone were still out there, but if so I don't know where to look to see if that's what is using the space.

Hi... My phone will not backup...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.