You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shortcut abruptly stopped working ("Show Finder search window")

A few weeks ago, I re-mapped the keyboard shortcut to "Show Finder search window" to Cmd-Space, and de-activated the "Show Spotlight search" shortcut, which originally used that same shortcut. The switch was working great until this morning—when it just stopped working.

I tried editing the Show Finder shortcut to use other keystrokes; nothing worked. I then restored the original shortcuts and tried activating it using the original Option-Command-Space, and again—it didn't work. (Although, the original shortcut to Show Spotlight did work using Command-Space, so at least I know it's not a keyboard issue).

I haven't updated any software between yesterday and today—so I can't wrap my head around what would cause a shortcut function to simply stop working altogether. I'm running MacOS 11.4 on a 2020 M1 Macbook Air.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 9:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 2:00 PM

tonsure,

If you test the shortcut in another user, does the same issue occur? Being able to see if the issue occurs in another user account will help to identify if it is something that is affecting your entire system or just one particular user account. To do this, you'll want to set up a Test User account and then try to replicate the issue in that account.

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.

2. Click the lock icon, then enter an administrator name and password.

3. Click the add button (+) below the list of users.

4. Complete the fields shown for a Standard or Administrator account, then click Create Account (or OK).

5. Go back up to the Apple menu in the upper left of the computer and select "Log Out". At the login screen, choose the "Test User" just made.

6. Once inside the Test Account, try to replicate the issue so you can determine if it just occurs in one account or on the whole computer.

Thank you.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 26, 2021 2:00 PM in response to tonsure

tonsure,

If you test the shortcut in another user, does the same issue occur? Being able to see if the issue occurs in another user account will help to identify if it is something that is affecting your entire system or just one particular user account. To do this, you'll want to set up a Test User account and then try to replicate the issue in that account.

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.

2. Click the lock icon, then enter an administrator name and password.

3. Click the add button (+) below the list of users.

4. Complete the fields shown for a Standard or Administrator account, then click Create Account (or OK).

5. Go back up to the Apple menu in the upper left of the computer and select "Log Out". At the login screen, choose the "Test User" just made.

6. Once inside the Test Account, try to replicate the issue so you can determine if it just occurs in one account or on the whole computer.

Thank you.

Jun 26, 2021 3:40 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

:) indeed, i did try restarting the computer. To be honest, losing a single shortcut isn't the end of the world. (Or, I should say: a single keyboard function—since it's now impossible for me to map any shortcut onto the function of "Show Finder search window"). So it really isn't worth it for me to start fiddling around with deleting Finder preferences, etc.

It is, however, disconcerting, that a singular function can simply disappear "overnight" (e.g. without any software updates, etc). I can't say that I've ever experienced such a thing on another version of MacOS.

Jun 26, 2021 3:48 PM in response to Lissy_12

That's interesting. I created the Test User account, and then logged-in with that new account. And indeed: the default shortcut for "Show Finder search window" was working. I logged back-in using my regular account, and—voila. That functionality magically re-appeared on my regular account.

I'm not sure I understand what just happened though.. Does logging-out of an account somehow refresh the computer in a way that restarting / shutting-down doesn't?

Shortcut abruptly stopped working ("Show Finder search window")

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.