You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Show Finder search window" spotlight shortcut no longer working since upgrading to Big Sur

Spotlight search shortcut works fine, but the "Show Finder search window" one will not work no matter what keys I bind to it.

Can still launch a new window when the Finder is selected by using the usual ⌘N.

Have already tried checking and unchecking the shortcut to disable and re-enable.

Have tried a variety of key assignments.

Can successfully change the Show Spotlight search shortcut to anything I want, but no key combo will launch the Finder Search window.

Any help would be appreciated as this is a feature I use constantly.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 10:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2021 1:35 AM

It does thanks.

My first thought is an accessibility setting, but not after you mentioned other combos work for other actions.

I’m assuming that you’ve already forced the relaunch of Finder? And restarted?

Just curious if so, if the same happens on another User, in Safe Mode, and with another keyboard, (I know the keys work individually already, but would be a good test for different setups).

Also, I’ve found, as another useful test is pulling up the Accessibility Keyboard in Accessibility settings, punching the physical keys and see what actually shows up.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 9, 2021 1:35 AM in response to NuMystic

It does thanks.

My first thought is an accessibility setting, but not after you mentioned other combos work for other actions.

I’m assuming that you’ve already forced the relaunch of Finder? And restarted?

Just curious if so, if the same happens on another User, in Safe Mode, and with another keyboard, (I know the keys work individually already, but would be a good test for different setups).

Also, I’ve found, as another useful test is pulling up the Accessibility Keyboard in Accessibility settings, punching the physical keys and see what actually shows up.

Jan 8, 2021 11:12 PM in response to NuMystic

Hey there! Good question!

I believe “Option Command Space Bar” should pull up a fresh Finder search window by default.

Otherwise, I believe the “Option Command F” shortcut, by default should pull up the Finder search window with other options.

Hope that’s what you were looking for, there are many shortcuts and ways to tweak these things it’s hard to keep track at times!

Jan 9, 2021 12:40 AM in response to DiZoE

Thanks for responding! Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm very familiar with the shortcut and use it all the time. I'm posting because it isn't working any more. I've opened the keyboard > shortcuts prefs pane to confirm that Option CMD Space is still set as the shortcut, it doesn't work, nor does any custom key combo that I set it to.

The actual action itself is not working no matter what keys are assigned to it.

As noted in the original question, the other spotlight shortcut is working fine, as are all the keys themselves. I'm able to change and then re-assign Option CMD Space to the "Show Finder search window" action with no problem, it just doesn't actually trigger the action as it should.

Does that help clarify the issue I'm seeking help with?

"Show Finder search window" spotlight shortcut no longer working since upgrading to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.