You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Flashing Black Screen

Since I purchased this Apple TV it has intermittently flashed a black screen. Sometimes the audio stays, sometimes not. I've always kept it up to date and I have replaced the HDMI 3 separate times with high quality cables. It's definitely coming from the Apple TV as I've tested on other devices.

I few months ago the issue got substantially worse. I can no longer use the Apple TV at all. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a recall on some models (I haven't been able to find one) because it's $150 to service this Apple TV, yet only $30 more to buy a new one...

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 6:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 2:06 AM

I have a similar issue with my Apple TV 4K (2021).

It only happens when using the Youtube app. On all other apps there are absolutely no issue (Netflix, Plex, Amazon, Disney+).

At random in a video the screen goes black for a few seconds and then turn back on. I changed the HDMI cable a few times, set up the video output to 4k STD and let the auto video format and frame rate on and off, but the issue comes anyway.

It is very frustrating to se an expensive box working like this when a cheap chines android box works better.

I continue to search a solution, but so far haven't find anything.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 28, 2021 2:06 AM in response to AdventureWithDAnan

I have a similar issue with my Apple TV 4K (2021).

It only happens when using the Youtube app. On all other apps there are absolutely no issue (Netflix, Plex, Amazon, Disney+).

At random in a video the screen goes black for a few seconds and then turn back on. I changed the HDMI cable a few times, set up the video output to 4k STD and let the auto video format and frame rate on and off, but the issue comes anyway.

It is very frustrating to se an expensive box working like this when a cheap chines android box works better.

I continue to search a solution, but so far haven't find anything.

Apple TV Flashing Black Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.