You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine will not backup

I've tried multiple disks (both hard drives and SSD), different interfaces (USB-C and Thurderbolt), all protection like Sophos is removed, and nothing will get the backup moving... it is perpetually stuck in "preparing backup" for days at a time. Total backup size is less than 500GB.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 1:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 6:40 PM

KVGalen wrote:

I've tried multiple disks (both hard drives and SSD), different interfaces (USB-C and Thurderbolt), all protection like Sophos is removed, and nothing will get the backup moving... it is perpetually stuck in "preparing backup" for days at a time. Total backup size is less than 500GB.

See if there is anything here—

If a Time Machine backup takes longer than you expect

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 6, 2021 6:40 PM in response to KVGalen

KVGalen wrote:

See if there is anything here—

If a Time Machine backup takes longer than you expect

Time machine will not backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.