You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone showing as wrong model

I have a new iphone 12 mini and it is not showing correctly in apple apps - it shows as the previous model (an SE) which is very confusing. Does this indicate a problem with the new phone?

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 14

Posted on May 22, 2021 7:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 24, 2021 12:07 PM

That's just the name it got from the backup of the old SE.

You can go into Settings->General->About->Name and change it to whatever you want. Its not really a model identification, but a custom name identifier you can change and set to anything you want.

If your old iPhone had that name, then the backup would transfer it over to the new iPhone.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 24, 2021 12:07 PM in response to Pastyface

That's just the name it got from the backup of the old SE.

You can go into Settings->General->About->Name and change it to whatever you want. Its not really a model identification, but a custom name identifier you can change and set to anything you want.

If your old iPhone had that name, then the backup would transfer it over to the new iPhone.

May 24, 2021 11:19 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hello, Yes I think I used a backup of the SE to set the phone up and transfer my contacts etc... the new phone 12 mini shows as an SE in everything, finder on my macbook, bluetooth on my car, etc... it is confusing as i still have the SE. I it possible to sort it out now, even if I have to set the phone up from scratch again. Your help is very much appreciated esp if you have a solution.

Pam

iphone showing as wrong model

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.