You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ECG and IR notifications eligible countries

Hi all. I am new here and didn't find related topic to this one. I will much appreciate if someone who has the knowledge to spare a few minutes and help me out if possible. Here's the thing.

Recently i bought a series 6 watch which i need to use ECG and Irregular rhythm notifications apps, but it seems they are not permitted on my location (Europe, Bulgaria). My question is however, can this be enabled somehow. I practically bought the watch because of those 2 heart apps.

Many thanks!

Apple Watch Series 6, watchOS 7

Posted on May 5, 2021 6:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 5, 2021 6:17 AM

Hi Rnasko,

the answer is no.

until Apple is able to bring these things to the watch where you are you will not be able to use this.

you might be able to say you are else where, and but this is not advertised.

10 replies

May 5, 2021 6:26 AM in response to Rnasko

There is no workaround;

For the ECG app to work on your watch the ECG app has to be approved by;

A. the government of the country in which the watch was bought and

B.the government of the country in which you reside.

May 5, 2021 9:09 AM in response to Community User

how does the phone/ watch know what country? and if you say go from the US to Bulgaria would all these things switch off? I'm going to go with no, so who does the phone/ watch know if you are just 'visiting' or you live there?

if it's where you got the phone from, they are all the same phones just a registration no?

if not please enlighten me on how it works would be good to know.

May 5, 2021 9:28 AM in response to Mr Leo Sir

To cover the LTE and UMTS bands used around the world, cellular models of Apple Watch come in regional models for the Americas, China mainland and Europe/Asia Pacific. Unlike iPhone, there isn't a worldwide Apple Watch model that supports all cellular bands used globally.

A cellular watch bought in the US will only function in North America,Canada,Mexico and Puerto Rico anywhere else it will function as a GPS only watch.

This is my last post as we're not even on the OP original question now.

May 5, 2021 9:32 AM in response to Community User

thank you for your last post, but the user didn't say they had a cellular apple watch or not, just can some functions be working. And from your last replay, I take it the answer is yes if the watch is from another country and WIFi, but just a lookup of the carrier used in the country would tell you what watch you would need for the connection need. In any case, WIFI or not the answer is yes if you do some work and get a watch from elsewhere or change it somehow, it should then work as Apple or the Gov in that country has no way of knowing you live there.

ECG and IR notifications eligible countries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.