You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging a MacBook Pro with and without a dongle

Does the charging efficiency change if I charge my Macbook Pro with the USB C port on the dongle, instead of the USB C port on the Macbook Pro? If so, which one is more efficient?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 3, 2021 10:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 11:01 PM

Hello,

It is always better and Efficient to charge your Mac with the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port on the Mac directly using the supplied original charger. But if you want to charge it with a dongle make sure to be using the USB-C port on the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport adapter as this is designed for power delivery through that port to the Mac . But, if you are using any third party dongles/adapters do avoid it as 3rd part dongles/adapters for charging can damage you Mac.

I tried using the AmazonBasics digital AV multipart adapter ( which costed less that half of the price of apple one) and it forked fine for a week and then my Mac stopped charging. Then after a few minutes the computer got hot and turned off. Then I took it to the Apple Authorised Service centre and got it checked. They said that the motherboard was fried up due to using a bad third party ( non-apple ) accessory. I had to get it repaired by paying for it ( payed almost 1300 USD ) for getting it repaired. I wa like my heart was broken.

So, don't use any kind of third party accessory especially for charging the Mac .

Hope this helps you.

Thanks you.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 3, 2021 11:01 PM in response to dlim91

Hello,

It is always better and Efficient to charge your Mac with the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port on the Mac directly using the supplied original charger. But if you want to charge it with a dongle make sure to be using the USB-C port on the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport adapter as this is designed for power delivery through that port to the Mac . But, if you are using any third party dongles/adapters do avoid it as 3rd part dongles/adapters for charging can damage you Mac.

I tried using the AmazonBasics digital AV multipart adapter ( which costed less that half of the price of apple one) and it forked fine for a week and then my Mac stopped charging. Then after a few minutes the computer got hot and turned off. Then I took it to the Apple Authorised Service centre and got it checked. They said that the motherboard was fried up due to using a bad third party ( non-apple ) accessory. I had to get it repaired by paying for it ( payed almost 1300 USD ) for getting it repaired. I wa like my heart was broken.

So, don't use any kind of third party accessory especially for charging the Mac .

Hope this helps you.

Thanks you.

Charging a MacBook Pro with and without a dongle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.