You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apps won't install on my apple watch

In the watch app on iphone, I tap on install and it spins for a few seconds and then goes back to the install option. It doesn't install. I've tried uninstalling from the watch and then reinstalling. I've done a hard restart of both phone and watch.

Apple Watch Series 5, watchOS 7

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 6:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2021 8:13 AM

Both my wife's Apple Watch Series 4 (Watch OS 7.3, iPhone 7 iOS 14.4)), and my Series 6 (Watch OS 7.3, iPhone 11 iOS 14.4) are having this same issue. We noticed this when her Map My Walk app didn't seem to be updating her activity, and I noticed that, even though the app icon appears on her watch AND opens/works, the icon in her Watch App on her phone show it is not installed.

So, I restarted both her watch and her phone, then I uninstalled the App by using her Watch face, then tried to install it from the Watch App on her phone -- no dice. The install icon spins for a few seconds, then goes right back to saying INSTALL -- and the app does not appear on her watch.

So, I went to my Series 6 and randomly tried to install an app that isn't installed on my Watch -- I tried to install my bank app, the Duo app, the Apple Store app, and the Bible app. None of them will install.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 20, 2021 8:13 AM in response to Cooper0630

Both my wife's Apple Watch Series 4 (Watch OS 7.3, iPhone 7 iOS 14.4)), and my Series 6 (Watch OS 7.3, iPhone 11 iOS 14.4) are having this same issue. We noticed this when her Map My Walk app didn't seem to be updating her activity, and I noticed that, even though the app icon appears on her watch AND opens/works, the icon in her Watch App on her phone show it is not installed.

So, I restarted both her watch and her phone, then I uninstalled the App by using her Watch face, then tried to install it from the Watch App on her phone -- no dice. The install icon spins for a few seconds, then goes right back to saying INSTALL -- and the app does not appear on her watch.

So, I went to my Series 6 and randomly tried to install an app that isn't installed on my Watch -- I tried to install my bank app, the Duo app, the Apple Store app, and the Bible app. None of them will install.

Feb 20, 2021 9:05 AM in response to Community User

Update: Resolved, partially. I tried to install an App from the watch itself, and it made me login to my app store account, then installed successfully. I went back to my phone and I can now install SOME apps from the phone, but not all -- more won't install than will. Notably, the Apple Store App will not install.

We both have separate iCloud accounts, but use the same App Store account (which neither of us uses for iCloud). I suspect this has much to do with this issue -- perhaps the Watch/App is getting confused as to which account it should be using.

[Screentime is Off everywhere -- can't stand the nanny pop-ups, which almost always happen at times I an involved in other things.]

apps won't install on my apple watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.