You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Dates incorrect when importing to Mac from iPhone

On my iPhone, I adjusted the dates and hours of my 3.8k photos accordingly, as a feature provided by the new IOS. However, after importing these photos with the adjusted date to Mac via Photos, all of them reset as if they weren't adjusted at all. Now, my entire library is in a mess. 😭

This isn't the first time, it has been the 7th time and I'm very frustrated with this logic. I know that adjustment of dates and time on iPhone is a new feature, but it doesn't work. Now, this meant I wasted my whole time using the adjustment function and I have to map all the resetted photos to their original dates. Why am I given the opportunity to adjust the date and time on iPhone, only to reset it in the Mac Photos, and repeat the painful process again? I took so many days to sort them out, I'm so done. I really am asking for a tangible solution.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 10:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 11:06 PM

This is unfortunately the expected behaviour.

When you import photos directly from your iPhone to a computer, the unmodified originals will be transferred, exactly as the camera has taken them or you saved the photos to Photos. Any adjustments and metadata you changed after you saved the photos to Photos (captions, dates, locations, favourite mark, albums, folders, faces) will be lost.

The best way to get the dates correctly transferred between your devices is iCloud Photos. Use iCloud Photos to store photos in iCloud – Apple Support (UK)

iCloud Photos will sync any work you are doing with your photos on one device automatically to iCloud and your other devices and the Photos Libraries on your Mac and iPhone will always be identical - adjustments and metadata and library structure. You can work with your photos seamlessly across devicesThe only thing that will not be synced is the sorting of albums or the sorting of the photos in the album.

To remove the incorrectly tagged photos look for them on your Mac in the "Imports" album. All photos you imported together will be grouped there together by the date of the Imports session.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 6, 2022 11:06 PM in response to SkyNocturne

This is unfortunately the expected behaviour.

When you import photos directly from your iPhone to a computer, the unmodified originals will be transferred, exactly as the camera has taken them or you saved the photos to Photos. Any adjustments and metadata you changed after you saved the photos to Photos (captions, dates, locations, favourite mark, albums, folders, faces) will be lost.

The best way to get the dates correctly transferred between your devices is iCloud Photos. Use iCloud Photos to store photos in iCloud – Apple Support (UK)

iCloud Photos will sync any work you are doing with your photos on one device automatically to iCloud and your other devices and the Photos Libraries on your Mac and iPhone will always be identical - adjustments and metadata and library structure. You can work with your photos seamlessly across devicesThe only thing that will not be synced is the sorting of albums or the sorting of the photos in the album.

To remove the incorrectly tagged photos look for them on your Mac in the "Imports" album. All photos you imported together will be grouped there together by the date of the Imports session.

Photo Dates incorrect when importing to Mac from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.