You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro won't work on Big Sur

Just updated to Big Sur 11.2.1. Now, Final Cut Pro won't work without an update. But when I visit the app store, there's no update for it. It says I have to purchase it again. I can access the app through its terminal, but I'd like to know if there's currently a way to update Final Cut Pro that I'm missing instead of having to use the terminal to use it.

Thanks everyone!

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 12:52 AM

8 replies

Feb 15, 2021 2:20 AM in response to corbin07

Are you logged in to the App Store with the same Apple id used to purchase?

Click on Updates - do you see FCP there? Does it say Update?

Click on your account - Bottom left of the App Store window. Do you see FCP on the right, amongst your purchases? Does it say Open?

If you see it in your purchases, but not on Updates: make a zip of the application in the Finder (control-click, choose Compress Final Cut Pro) for safekeeping, and drag the application to the trash (don't need to empty the trash just yet).

Go to the App Store again, click your account, and FCP will say "Download". Click it. It will be the current version.

Feb 16, 2021 4:41 PM in response to betaneptune

I read elsewhere online that I could still access FCP even though it wasn't updated for Big Sur. Click on Finder, go to Applications, right-click on Final Cut Pro, click Show Package Contents, open the folder MacOS, then double click on the item in the folder titled Final Cut Pro. It actually worked, it opened a fully-functional version of Final Cut Pro. This way of accessing it was the terminal. I found it was too inconvenient and I wanted to update my FCP to improve exporting my projects, so I just purchased the new version and it works beautifully.

Hope that explained it okay!

Final Cut Pro won't work on Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.