You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur update ll.2.2 will not down load to the 11.2.1 version on my desk top

iMac 27″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 7:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 10:20 AM

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Defrag, VPNs etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required. If this does Not Apply - Disregard

If doing over wifi - it is very iffy but doable. Better results via Ethernet connection.

If over Ethernet is used, suggest Shutdown Router. Shutdown computer. Restart Router then same to computer but hold Shift Immediately at startup. Safe Mode does a Repair Disk, clears cache files and only load Apple Software and fonts - loads slowly - Normal. Try again.

If over Wifi - same as ethernet Router and computer restart and Safe Mode except disconnect ALL Other devices using the Wifi - want Max Bandwidth to this computer and try again.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 27, 2021 10:20 AM in response to laramie-44

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Defrag, VPNs etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required. If this does Not Apply - Disregard

If doing over wifi - it is very iffy but doable. Better results via Ethernet connection.

If over Ethernet is used, suggest Shutdown Router. Shutdown computer. Restart Router then same to computer but hold Shift Immediately at startup. Safe Mode does a Repair Disk, clears cache files and only load Apple Software and fonts - loads slowly - Normal. Try again.

If over Wifi - same as ethernet Router and computer restart and Safe Mode except disconnect ALL Other devices using the Wifi - want Max Bandwidth to this computer and try again.

Feb 27, 2021 11:27 AM in response to laramie-44

There is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community   

I found a better way to get the Big Sur updates is to go to the App Store, search for Big Sur and download from there and install.

Feb 27, 2021 11:10 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks. I chatted with Apple help and we tried turning off virus protection, switching from wireless to ethernet connection. As well as disconnecting back up disc and disc player. They also suggested using safe mode or setting up a second user account. I decided to hold off on doing that for now as I am not technically savvy on computer OS.

The description of the latest update sounds as if it is really not necessary for a desk top computer.

I know from past experience that ignoring updates can eventually leave you with an OS that is no longer supported by Apple. I ended up with a Yosemite OS that I didn't update and could not download the next major OS version or the two that followed. So I bought a new computer with the Big Sur OS on it and have had no trouble downloading 11.2 or 11.2.1.

Maybe if there are enough call Apple will fix this revision in the sure to follow next update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.