You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro connected to Monitor via USB Type C charges the computer. Should I also plug the main Apple charger?

I'm using my Macbook Pro 16 (OS Big Sur) connected to an external monitor via USB Type C. By itself this means my laptop is charging just from being connected to the monitor.

Should I also connect the main charger from Apple?

What's the best practice in this case to preserve battery lifespan?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 11:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 12:03 PM

An external power supply that provides "USB Power Delivery" (like certain displays)  can not 'force itself' on your Mac. The Voltage and Current are delivered only after your Mac requests and the charger agrees to supply power under certain controlled conditions. The computer is in control of the entire process.

You Mac will never over-charge.

Best is to plug in the Apple adapter first, since it is usually more powerful. But that is not a strict requirement. You can leave all connected at all times, no worries.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 26, 2021 12:03 PM in response to jdvzs

An external power supply that provides "USB Power Delivery" (like certain displays)  can not 'force itself' on your Mac. The Voltage and Current are delivered only after your Mac requests and the charger agrees to supply power under certain controlled conditions. The computer is in control of the entire process.

You Mac will never over-charge.

Best is to plug in the Apple adapter first, since it is usually more powerful. But that is not a strict requirement. You can leave all connected at all times, no worries.

Jan 27, 2021 12:39 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks Grant. Btw, I've noticed some heating issues, like the laptop heating quite a bit just from being connected to this external monitor - even when I'm doing simple tasks.

I've read this is a common problem (from what I understood the GPU is always on when you connect an external monitor to the Macbook Pro). Is this something to be worried about?

Macbook Pro connected to Monitor via USB Type C charges the computer. Should I also plug the main Apple charger?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.