You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to update OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 to macOS Big Sur

Hello there. I have a Mac Mini (2014 or later) with Mac OS X El Capitan v10.11.6. I want to update the operation system to macOS Big Sur. I used the link from above (step 4) to download mac OS Big Sur and on the App Store page it says that "Cannot connect to App Store".

How can I update it?

Mac mini, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 4:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 7:39 AM

If going the suggested route @ dialabrain put forth ( good idea ) here is the link to get older versions of macOS including High Sierra. Please, open this link and all links is following page ONLY in Safari ( FF / Chrome will not work ) Safari will open a redirect and open the Apple Store to the version of macOS chosen.

Do make a Time Machine Backup Before proceeding

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 11, 2021 7:39 AM in response to loredana1974

If going the suggested route @ dialabrain put forth ( good idea ) here is the link to get older versions of macOS including High Sierra. Please, open this link and all links is following page ONLY in Safari ( FF / Chrome will not work ) Safari will open a redirect and open the Apple Store to the version of macOS chosen.

Do make a Time Machine Backup Before proceeding

How to update OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 to macOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.