You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do i reduce the life span of the battery or even damage it if i always have the charge plugged in?

I ask it because i use my MacBook closed and attached to external monitors and this is possible only if I keep the charge cable plugged in. So I'm wondering if this is unhealthy for my MacBook battery

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 9, 2021 1:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2021 9:04 AM

Excellent observation regarding Big Sur and parameters for battery charging. Good, the battery usage described look very good.

Do come back to these forums if more issues arise or just to offer advise to others.

3 replies

Jan 9, 2021 7:43 AM in response to Dodecore

Like any consumable product and batteries are in this category, the batter needs to be used from time to time. Say at least once to twice a moth in order for the chemicals in the battery to get some exercise. It would not require running on battery until it is extremely low but maybe 50% and plug in again. This is only personal opinion.

Jan 9, 2021 7:51 AM in response to PRP_53

Ok thank you for your reply, for sure i use my MB in battery mode more than once a month so I'm confident there should not be problem. I see Big Sur have a smart way to regulate energy resources based on various utilization's parameters of your MacBook and this is good too, moreover I've read that nowadays the operative systems avoid to fully charge the batteries if the cable is plugged in for long time. they do 99% to 100% cycle.

do i reduce the life span of the battery or even damage it if i always have the charge plugged in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.