You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Passcode Expired?

This morning I got an alert that my iPad passcode expired and it is asking me to reset it. I have never seen something like this before on an Apple device or on several generations of iPads. All searches I have done indicate this isn't something that happens with Apple devices. I can't use the iPad without moving forward on the alert- but I am concerned some type of Trojan Horse or other issue will activate if I do move forward.

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 9:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 9:54 AM

It was literally the first thing to pop up this morning. I fell asleep with a video game- WGT Golf- active last night and this was the error message that popped up. It would not let me do anything until I engaged. I think it may have to do with a MDM profile I have on it so I can use on a client's wifi- at least that was a possibility on another discussion thread. I had restarted a few times- but like I said once I opened it with the thumbprint the dialog box would pop up and I would be stuck.

Ultimately I did reset the passcode, and I did clear cookies and search for rogue accounts, apps, calendars, etc. I didn't find anything so I think it might be a new security issue with the clients profile. I have a ticket in with their IT to see if it is a known issue.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 17, 2020 9:54 AM in response to ProustGiulio

It was literally the first thing to pop up this morning. I fell asleep with a video game- WGT Golf- active last night and this was the error message that popped up. It would not let me do anything until I engaged. I think it may have to do with a MDM profile I have on it so I can use on a client's wifi- at least that was a possibility on another discussion thread. I had restarted a few times- but like I said once I opened it with the thumbprint the dialog box would pop up and I would be stuck.

Ultimately I did reset the passcode, and I did clear cookies and search for rogue accounts, apps, calendars, etc. I didn't find anything so I think it might be a new security issue with the clients profile. I have a ticket in with their IT to see if it is a known issue.

Dec 17, 2020 9:41 AM in response to KummFam

Never saw that message, it might be a scam attempt. DO NOT respond and do not give any personal info to anyone.

When did it appear? I mean, what were you doing when it appeared?

I would try to:

• Clear safari history and cookies.
  • Check if in Settings>Calendars>Accounts... you have a rogue calendar there, delete it.

When done, restart your iPad.

Let me know how it goes

Regards

Giulio

iPad Passcode Expired?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.