You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

/dev folder not showing up in Finder

I have this system folder called /dev. My best guess is it's interfaces with hardware and hardware-to-software connections. I can list, cd, and even figure out the file type of the folder and files inside of it. I cannot concatenate (with cat or less) or GetFileInfo. However, when I try to open the folder in Finder, it shows either my currently open window or no window, and when I try to open files inside I get a "Doesn't exist", "Permission Denied", "No Editor" or another error, depending on which app I try to open the file with. But I know it exists because Terminal can find it. How can I open this folder in Finder or open the files inside of it with other apps? Here is a screenshot of me attempting to read a file in /dev with less:

and opening with TextEdit:

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 5:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 5:44 AM

Should even be accessing it?

Similar questions

12 replies

Dec 14, 2020 3:42 PM in response to HWTech

I DO know what I'm doing. I know MacOS inside and out, and I know what's safe and what Isn't. Seriously. I know coding and Terminal and explore files a lot. Basically, I deffinetley know what i'm doing. And I really don't need or use my Home Folder (I store everything in my iCloud drive-long story). I'm not a regular user and I know the system very well.

Dec 15, 2020 4:59 PM in response to Nicholascronan

No insult was intended, it is just that many users decide to have a look around without knowing anything about the inner workings of macOS so they end up getting into trouble when they don't read up on these things first.

I hope you have some sort of backup for the data you have stored in the cloud since iCloud is not a replacement for a dedicated backup. Any data stored in iCloud needs to have a backup in case you accidentally delete an important file or you accidentally make an unwanted change to a file.

/dev folder not showing up in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.