You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files from a Greyed Out Folders

Hello All,

I created a temp folder in order to move files(through terminal) from a greyed out folder, the files weren't showing up in finder initially but when you search for particular file names they come up when I opened the enclosed folder thats when I realized it was greyed out so I moved the files thinking they would finally appear, but they do not appear in the TEMP folder either although they are very much in the folder somehow.

I am unable to see exactly how many items are in the folder as its been a long time since I accessed these files from an older hard drive.

Is there any way I can make these files visible again? the greyed out folder no longer appears as its within the Temp folder now.

Please help?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 9, 2020 2:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 8:30 AM

Cvdiaz4 wrote:

Hello All,

I created a temp folder in order to move files(through terminal) from a greyed out folder, the files weren't showing up in finder initially but when you search for particular file names they come up when I opened the enclosed folder thats when I realized it was greyed out so I moved the files thinking they would finally appear, but they do not appear in the TEMP folder either although they are very much in the folder somehow.

I am unable to see exactly how many items are in the folder as its been a long time since I accessed these files from an older hard drive.

Is there any way I can make these files visible again? the greyed out folder no longer appears as its within the Temp folder now.

Please help?

Grayed out files in Finder makes it sound like a .hidden file

You can toggle this with Shift Command . (3 keys includes the period)

please advise

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 10, 2020 8:30 AM in response to Cvdiaz4

Cvdiaz4 wrote:

Hello All,

Please help?

Grayed out files in Finder makes it sound like a .hidden file

You can toggle this with Shift Command . (3 keys includes the period)

please advise

Files from a Greyed Out Folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.