You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error message when trying to download Big Sur

I have a MBPro, 13", mid-2014. Am running Mojave. Am trying to upgrade to Big Sur. I am getting an error message when I try to download an update from the Software Update utility - either when I try Big Sur (from the Apple website), or when I try Catalina (which is the default it brings up in the Software Update utility.). In either case, I get an error message when I try to start the download of the OS package.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 10:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 11:42 AM

That can indicate an older installer version is already in your Applicaitons folder.

⚠️ HOWEVER...

There is currently a Big Sur problem with 2013 and 2014 Macbook Pros. See this December 3 Apple article:

If you can’t install macOS Big Sur on certain 13-inch MacBook Pro computers from 2013 and 2014 - Apple Support

I suggest you not try again until you see an announcement that problem is fixed.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 6, 2020 11:42 AM in response to rekkus

That can indicate an older installer version is already in your Applicaitons folder.

⚠️ HOWEVER...

There is currently a Big Sur problem with 2013 and 2014 Macbook Pros. See this December 3 Apple article:

If you can’t install macOS Big Sur on certain 13-inch MacBook Pro computers from 2013 and 2014 - Apple Support

I suggest you not try again until you see an announcement that problem is fixed.

Error message when trying to download Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.