You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Series 5 won't pair with my iPhone 10

I just bought a used Apple Watch Series 5 and tried to pair it with my iPhone 10. The watch said it couldn't pair with iOS 13.7 which surprised me because iOS 14 didn't exist until about 6 weeks ago. I have my original Apple Watch paired with the iPhone, is it possible that is the true reason the Series 5 won't pair?

Apple Watch

Posted on Nov 5, 2020 4:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 7:39 AM

Greetings, romad.

It appears that you're having a problem pairing your new Apple Watch Series 5 with your iPhone X. You receive a message that it couldn't pair with your iPhone because it’s on iOS 13.7. You also mention that your old Apple Watch is also paired with your phone and wondering if this is the reason. We understand how important it is to pair your new Apple Watch in order to use it, and we're glad to help with this.

Set up and pair your Apple Watch with iPhone - Apple Support -- If your Apple Watch has watchOS 7 installed, you'll need to update the iOS on your iPhone X to iOS 14 or later in order for it to pair correctly. After updating, see if you're able to pair your new Apple Watch with your phone.

It shouldn't matter that your old Apple Watch is already paired. You'll be able to switch to which watch you're wearing once the new watch has been added.

Feel free to get back to us with any questions or problems you may have.

Take care.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 10, 2020 7:39 AM in response to romad

Greetings, romad.

It appears that you're having a problem pairing your new Apple Watch Series 5 with your iPhone X. You receive a message that it couldn't pair with your iPhone because it’s on iOS 13.7. You also mention that your old Apple Watch is also paired with your phone and wondering if this is the reason. We understand how important it is to pair your new Apple Watch in order to use it, and we're glad to help with this.

Set up and pair your Apple Watch with iPhone - Apple Support -- If your Apple Watch has watchOS 7 installed, you'll need to update the iOS on your iPhone X to iOS 14 or later in order for it to pair correctly. After updating, see if you're able to pair your new Apple Watch with your phone.

It shouldn't matter that your old Apple Watch is already paired. You'll be able to switch to which watch you're wearing once the new watch has been added.

Feel free to get back to us with any questions or problems you may have.

Take care.

Nov 10, 2020 8:13 AM in response to SnickZ.

Unfortunately I don't know what version of WatchOS is on it since I can't get past the pairing step. And I can't put iOS 14 on my iPhone until I'm sure a critical app works with it - so far some of the app users say it crashes on iOS 14 while others don't seem to have a problem on iOS 14.

Apple Watch Series 5 won't pair with my iPhone 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.