You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro stopping watch imessage notification

Hi

I've had iphone and watch for a few years but only just swapped from windows laptop to a macbook pro. Now I don't get the imessage watch notification anymore. I can see the badge for new message on the mac and then if I check my phone I can see there's a new message. I want my watch to give me the vibrate alerts still though. Notifications are turned on in watch settings still. The only thing that has changed is getting a macbook.

Thanks

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 7

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 6:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 6:27 AM

Just like with the iPhone, notifications go to the 'active' device. See Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support, where it describes that if your iPhone is unlocked, a new iMessage notification will go there and not to your Apple Watch. It's the same with your Mac – if your Mac is unlocked the notification will go there, not your watch. You'll still see the new message on all your devices, but you'll only get the notification on one.

I'm not aware of any way to disable that behavior. I'm sure Apple is trying to simplify things for us, and I can see the logic. As I type this, I have two MacBook Pros and an iPad Pro open and unlocked on my desk, an iPhone in my pocket and an Apple Watch on my wrist. I would be mildly annoyed if I got an iMessage notification on all 5 devices at once. Having said that, I just got a phone call and the 'ring' does go to all 5 devices, like Apple is saying answer the phone, dammit. At least clicking decline on one device shuts them all off.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 24, 2020 6:27 AM in response to pn123_pn

Just like with the iPhone, notifications go to the 'active' device. See Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support, where it describes that if your iPhone is unlocked, a new iMessage notification will go there and not to your Apple Watch. It's the same with your Mac – if your Mac is unlocked the notification will go there, not your watch. You'll still see the new message on all your devices, but you'll only get the notification on one.

I'm not aware of any way to disable that behavior. I'm sure Apple is trying to simplify things for us, and I can see the logic. As I type this, I have two MacBook Pros and an iPad Pro open and unlocked on my desk, an iPhone in my pocket and an Apple Watch on my wrist. I would be mildly annoyed if I got an iMessage notification on all 5 devices at once. Having said that, I just got a phone call and the 'ring' does go to all 5 devices, like Apple is saying answer the phone, dammit. At least clicking decline on one device shuts them all off.

Macbook pro stopping watch imessage notification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.