You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No or Unreliable iMessage Notification Sound - Watch, iMac, iPad

The two of us are having issues with getting no notification from an iMessage.

In my case, I have a Watch, iMac, iPad and iPhone.

My spouse has the same setup, but without the iMac.

Sometimes these are open all at the same time.

iMessage notification is fairly reliable when we don't have the iMac and / or iPad active.

Is the notification defaulting to the iMac or iPad? If so, we sometimes have the volume down.

Is there anyway to have the notification go to the iPhone even if we have notifications turned on the Watch?

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 9

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 8:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2023 9:06 AM

Hi Lawrence Hammer,

To clarify, is this specifically and only Messages? For example, do you consistently receive notifications for 3rd party apps or other apps like Calendar or Mail regardless of your setup?

Regarding your other devices, it is expected for notifications to either show on Apple Watch OR your iPhone, but not both. If your Apple Watch is unlocked and on your wrist, and your iPhone display is off or locked, notifications go to your watch. However, if your iPhone display is on, notifications will come to your iPhone instead.

Let us know additional details regarding what app or apps are affected, and we'll follow up from there.

Cheers!

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 14, 2023 9:06 AM in response to Lawrence Hammer

Hi Lawrence Hammer,

To clarify, is this specifically and only Messages? For example, do you consistently receive notifications for 3rd party apps or other apps like Calendar or Mail regardless of your setup?

Regarding your other devices, it is expected for notifications to either show on Apple Watch OR your iPhone, but not both. If your Apple Watch is unlocked and on your wrist, and your iPhone display is off or locked, notifications go to your watch. However, if your iPhone display is on, notifications will come to your iPhone instead.

Let us know additional details regarding what app or apps are affected, and we'll follow up from there.

Cheers!

Jun 14, 2023 4:55 PM in response to Lawrence Hammer

I think I have found a partial answer.

When I have my iPad open, I do not get notifications on my Watch. And I have notifications turned off on the iPad for Messages. I turned notifications on for the iPad. I still don't get notifications on my Watch, but I do on the iPad.

When my iMac is up and operating, I no longer get notifications on my Watch. But I do on the iMac. The problem is that I might be playing music on the iMac and not hear the message. Or, the iMac might be crunching something and I leave it on and walk away. When I am still in the same area, the notification occurs on the iMac, and not on my Watch.

How can I insure that I have notifications occur on the Watch regardless of whether my iPad or iMac are on?

Apr 14, 2023 1:13 PM in response to Lawrence Hammer

Hello Lawrence Hammer,

If you get a message you should be notified on either your iPhone or Apple Watch, and on your Mac and iPad. Of course, having the volume down cause your devices to not make a sound when a message comes in.

Even with the sound turned down, notifications should appear as banners and alerts if you have them enabled. You learn how to change your notification settings here: Change Notifications settings on Mac & Change notification settings on iPad

Thanks.

Apr 14, 2023 2:26 PM in response to Lawrence Hammer

Hey Lawrence Hammer,

Keep in mind, with an Apple Watch, you will get a notification on either the iPhone or watch, not both. The notification you think is being missed on the watch, could be on your iPhone, if it is not locked and/or dimmed.

As for the volume for your Apple Watch when a notification is sent to your watch, this page has how to adjust the volume:

Change the audio and notification settings on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

That page also shows how to set the haptic alert to "Prominent", which may also help.

How to manage Apple Watch Haptic Alerts
1. Open the Settings app. 
2. Scroll down and tap Sounds & Haptics.
3. Turn Haptic Alerts on or off.
Apple Watch showing the Sounds & Haptics screen in Settings
4. To add extra emphasis to haptic alerts, tap Prominent. This feature adds an additional haptic tap that pre-announces some of your other haptic alerts. 
You can also change the settings for specific apps from your iPhone. On your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app, go to the My Watch tab, and tap Sounds & Haptics.
If you're wearing your Apple Watch and you don't feel a tap as you adjust the slider, contact Apple Support. For the best haptic results, the back of your Apple Watch needs skin contact. Use a snug, but comfortable fit

Take care!

Apr 15, 2023 9:20 AM in response to mingoslkd

mingoslkd wrote:
Keep in mind, with an Apple Watch, you will get a notification on either the iPhone or watch, not both. The notification you think is being missed on the watch, could be on your iPhone, if it is not locked and/or dimmed.

Thanks. I am aware of that we only get one notification and think it is an unfortunate decision by Apple - not that my opinion does any good.

I am not sure what is happening, but we both have the notification set to go on the watch. If it occurs on the watch, we sometimes do not see it nor hear it.

I just saw a Message from a friend that was sent three days ago. I never saw nor heard a notification.

If this continues, we may have to remove Message notifications from the Watch, which removes some of the advantage of purchasing an Apple Watch.

As for the volume for your Apple Watch when a notification is sent to your watch, this page has how to adjust the volume:
Change the audio and notification settings on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

That page also shows how to set the haptic alert to "Prominent", which may also help.

How to manage Apple Watch Haptic Alerts
1. Open the Settings app. 
2. Scroll down and tap Sounds & Haptics.
3. Turn Haptic Alerts on or off.

Thank you. We have done all of that and have the watch alerts at full volume and a prominent haptic alert, plus repeat once (total of two notifications).

If you're wearing your Apple Watch and you don't feel a tap as you adjust the slider, contact Apple Support. For the best haptic results, the back of your Apple Watch needs skin contact. Use a snug, but comfortable fit
Take care!

We have the watches with fairly snug skin contact - almost have to or else the watch does not stay unlocked.

Yesterday, we both installed another Watch software update. Have done the same on our iPads, iPhones and the iMac. We have also rebooted them, which sometimes may (or may not) help.

Thanks again for your help.

Apr 14, 2023 11:13 AM in response to DerekM87

Everything else seems to work. When I get a phone call, it rings on four devices (Mac, iPhone, iPad and Watch). Emails work across devices. Even Messages appear on all three devices. It is the lack of any notification on occasion.

It does seem to be related to this design decision. We can usually, but not always, hear the watch when notifications occurs. But, am guessing, we receive no notification at all when the iPad and/or Mac is also on. Am thinking that may occur when we have turned down the volume on those devices.

As a result, I frequently miss iMessage alerts as does my wife. We only find out about the iMessage if we look at our device(s).

Apr 14, 2023 1:19 PM in response to ace1018

Thanks. So if we have message notifications enabled on our Watch, and our iPad or Mac is on, the sound notification will occur on the iPad or Mac?

If so, how do we force the notification to occur on the Watch? Yet still be able to respond to Messages on an iPad or Mac?

Having a banner appear, then disappear on a Watch only works if we are looking at it. Same on the iPhone, iPad or Mac.

Yes, I realize that having the sound turned down would prevent us hearing a notification. But that would not be an issue if the sound notification occurred reliably on the Watch.

No or Unreliable iMessage Notification Sound - Watch, iMac, iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.