You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes not recognizing iPad with iPad iOS 14

Just updated to iPad iOS 14. Went to backup my iPad on my MacBook Pro with OS High Sierra. Opened iTunes on the MacBook Pro and iTunes doesn't recognize that my iPad is plugged into the laptop. So, unable to do a backup, which has never been a problem before. The iPad is charging when plugged into the laptop via USB, so the laptop knows it's there. Is this a problem with new iPad iOS 14?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 4:55 PM

6 replies

Sep 27, 2020 5:44 PM in response to judysings

Thanks for the response. My computer is recognizing the iPad is there but iTunes is not recognizing the iPad is there. My iTunes is the latest version but because my MacBook Pro is a 2010 model the OS is stuck at High Sierra and cannot be upgraded. I was always able to backup my iPad with iTunes until I updated my iPad OS to iPad OS 14. Now iTunes on the MacBook Pro doesn't recognize the iPad as being there. So, the question is: do I have to get a new Mac with OS Catalina in order to back up my iPad on a computer?

Sep 27, 2020 5:03 PM in response to Oldguy-Mac-User

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities, Oldguy-Mac-User!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you're having an issue with your iPad not being recognized by your MacBook Pro. Check out this article with steps to take If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod. This article will give you the best steps to take for issues with your device not being recognized, as well as the steps to take if the issue persists.

Cheers!

Oct 4, 2020 7:46 AM in response to Oldguy-Mac-User

For iOS 12 or later you need iTunes 12.8.0.150 or better running on OS X 10.11.4 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required. iOS 13 likely requires iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

tt2

iTunes not recognizing iPad with iPad iOS 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.