You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I delete the mac.com, icloud.com, and me.com aliases associated with my Apple ID?

I've had a simple, first initial/last name mac.com email address that has been my Apple ID login for over 20 years. My account is locked daily - sometimes hourly - due to multiple login attempts, whether by human error or automated attempts to access my account.

I changed the email address associated with my account to something completely obscure (and less likely to be mistakenly entered by a human or generated by a bot seeking access) with a third party email provider.

Apple's article located here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201771 states "You can't sign in to iCloud.com with an email alias. Sign in with your @icloud.com email address or the Apple ID that you use with your iCloud account."

There are three email aliases associated with my account. A mac.com version, and one for icloud.com and me.com. I am unable to delete these aliases. The statement above says plainly that you cannot sign in to iCloud with an alias. However - my account was locked - AGAIN - for 'Security Reasons', AFTER I changed the login to a more obscure address. It follows that while it is impossible to log in using an alias, it is possible to have your account locked if multiple login attempts are made USING one of those aliases.

This makes ZERO sense. The policy already equated to locking out everyone who lives in the house just because someone knocked on the door three times. It now equates to locking everyone out even though the house has now moved to a different location, is now invisible, and the knocker is still knocking at the previous address.

Side Note - as I was typing this, my account was locked again.

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 8:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 9:36 AM

You can also add 2 Factor Authentication to your account for more security.

Link to contact Apple Support in the article.

Apple ID has been compromised.      

Security and your Apple ID.      

Apple ID -Two-factor authentication          

Two Factor Authentification availability.     

Apple ID - Using app-specific passwords.     

Apple ID - Two Step Verifications FAQ    

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 4, 2020 9:36 AM in response to Trey Stone

You can also add 2 Factor Authentication to your account for more security.

Link to contact Apple Support in the article.

Apple ID has been compromised.      

Security and your Apple ID.      

Apple ID -Two-factor authentication          

Two Factor Authentification availability.     

Apple ID - Using app-specific passwords.     

Apple ID - Two Step Verifications FAQ    

Sep 18, 2020 8:43 AM in response to Eric Root

Two-factor authentication does NOTHING to solve the problem I am having. NOTHING. This is not about someone actually accessing my account, this is about the fact that the account gets locked CONSTANTLY just because the credentials are entered incorrectly. It is also about the fact that because I actually paid for a mac.com address for years, there is no solution. Apple is literally ignoring this issue in the hopes that paying adopters of a service that they offered will finally just abandon their accounts.

Why can't I delete the mac.com, icloud.com, and me.com aliases associated with my Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.